Below you will find detailed information about each unit we will cover in this course. New information will be added as necessary so please check back.
Math Unit 1: Place Value, Number Sense, Addition, & Subtraction
Big Idea/Essential Questions:
- How do units within a system relate to each other?
- How are place value patterns repeated in larger numbers?
- How can I use words and expanded formats to order and compare numbers?
- How can I justify when estimation is more appropriate than finding an exact answer?
- What are the strategies I use to find sums and differences of numbers?
Intended Learning Outcomes:
- I can relate the dimensions of a rectangle to addition (repeated addition)
- I can demonstrate an understanding of the process of addition with regrouping.
- I can demonstrate an understanding of the process of subtraction with regrouping.
- I can know and fluently use addition and subtraction facts.
- I can add lists of numbers.
- I can add numbers to the millions.
- I can apply the commutative and associative properties.
- I can subtract numbers to the millions.
- I can round numbers to the nearest place value to the millions.
- I can find the perimeter of a rectangle.
- I can solve and pose one-step and multi-step story problems.
- I can draw a labeled sketch or diagram to represent a story problem or mathematical situation.
minuend subtrahend difference
place value round estimate compare
Additional Attached Resources: