Reading

Reading – Routine or Revered?

From the moment I was born, I have been surrounded by stories. Magnificent are the memories made on the laps of my parents, who brought books to life. Each and every day they would read to me. I remember plopping my pillow on my parents’ laps, eager for each syllable to be shared. Before I could decipher the dots and doodles or make sense of the scratches and squiggles that peppered each page, I longed to listen to the letters. I knew there was something special about those scribbles. With each word read aloud, there was wonder. As I eyed the illustrations, my imagination was ignited. The sound of a story was something I savored.

How old were you when you started to read?

At 11 months old, I was already an avid “reader”…  if only I knew which way was up.

What goals do you have for yourself as a reader?

Reading, while done daily, was never routine; reading was relished and revered. Time with text was always treasured. Whether sprawled out on a sofa or flopped on the family room floor, whether curled up in a cushy chair or basking with a book in the backyard, the prize was plundering the pages; place didn’t matter. Sometimes, I even snuck away to my secret place, sequestering myself in my bedroom closet with a flashlight and a “fluffy” (our family nickname for stuffed animals) in order to feast on a fairy tale. A story in solitude was always special.

Where is your favorite place to read? Why?

Bedtime brought with it bounty beyond books. As I nestled myself ‘neath the sheets, I waited, wide-eyed, albeit weary, for a world of whimsy to waken. Off the top of his head, my dad would tell a timeless tale filled with timidity and temerity, truth and treachery, tragedies and triumphs and treasure. Of course, princesses and peril were common elements of each story. As I listened to my dad weave each wonderful tale, I learned to savor suspense, marvel at mystery, envision the environment, puzzle about the plot, and empathize with each endearing entity.

With whom do you most enjoy reading? Why?

My grandma and dad shared this reading experience with me – a family read aloud.

Ruminate on Reading

Reading is remarkable.

Entertaining or educational.

Mindless or moving.

Relaxing or riveting.

Affirming or life-altering.

Time with text can be tailored just for YOU!

My brother and I sharing a story on the sofa.

What makes browsing a book even more beautiful is that it can be SOLITARY or SHARED.

We can reflect on our reading alone in our room.

We can talk about text with our family and friends.

We can capture our questions, connections, and contemplations on paper.

Reading is remarkable.

Reflect on Reading

When you are reading on your own, take time to carry on a conversation in your mind.

Monitor your comprehension by listening to yourself say things like:

• Hmm, so far in this story…
  • Hmm, I’m confused a little here about…
  • I’m going to go back and…
  • I’m wondering why…
  • I’m picturing (envisioning) in my mind…
  • This reminds me of…
  • I think the author is really talking about…
  • I think this word means… because…

As you read, you might find yourself really connecting with characters.

You know you are empathizing when you hear yourself say or think things like:

• He / She must be so sad.
  • I was thinking about this character all night. I’m so worried about him / her.

Capture Questions, Connections, and Contemplations

When you are writing about reading, delve deeply into the text.

Read between to the lines to infer what the author REALLY wants you to think about.

Consider characters’ motivations. Why do they do what they do?

• Notice characters’ attitudes and actions. How do those affect their choices?
  • Think deeply about the trials and triumphs the characters face. How do they respond? Why?
  • What can YOU learn from what you read? How does it apply to YOUR life?

Consider capturing these thoughts on paper:

• Write about a time in your life in which you felt the same way the character feels.
  • How do the main character’s actions make you feel? Why?
  • Write about a part of the story that you find confusing or makes your mental movie “blurry.”
  • If you were the main character, would you have handled this situation differently? How? Why?
  • What are you thinking? Explain.
  • What does this remind you of?
  • Use your own words and describe what happened.

Skip to toolbar